Venue — Hangar

2

9

Buy Tickets

Q121

R52

Hangar

Drawings by
Julian Harrap Architects

Hangar

Designed in 1910, the airship hangar was one of only six airship sheds in the UK at the outset of the First World War. It had a very short life and was permanently dismantled in 1916 and reused to construct two other buildings on the factory site. The straight lower legs of the frame were used as the main structure of a fabric and balloon workshop, while the arched upper section was incorporated in a forge and foundry building. In 2006, a survey of the two listed buildings revealed that these buildings were listed as they contained the dismantled hangar. Both buildings were demolished in order to extract the structural components of the arch. Archival research indicates that it took 50 men five weeks to dismantle and rebuild the hangar in 2006. (Source: Julian Harrap Architects)

Entrance

Exit